Data science is an interdisciplinary field that strives to extract knowledge or insights from data in various forms, either structured or unstructured. Data science employs techniques and theories drawn from many fields within the broad areas of mathematics, statistics, operations research, information science, and computer science. Demand for trained data scientists has witnessed a massive growth in recent years. Data analysis is not only essential but indispensable for meeting the challenges of making most efficient strategic as well as tactical decisions. Applications of data science take place in various domains such as government sector, agriculture, atmospheric sciences, infrastructure management, financial markets, ecommerce.
The objective of this course is to introduce learners to the different tools and techniques used for handling, managing, analyzing and interpreting data. The course will be hands-on with introduction to software such as XL-Miner, SAS Enterprise Miner, SPSS, R, @Risk, Arena, Apache Spark, Python etc. The course is suited for working professionals who would like to have a hands-on feel on working with data and making sense of it.
Successful completion of the course will enable the learners to acquire a strong foundation for applying advanced quantitative and statistical tools to make most effective decisions driven by sound data analysis.
- Helping learners acquire a strong foundation in applying advanced quantitative and statistical tools
- Building familiarity with the latest tools and software such as XL-Miner, SAS Enterprise Miner, SPSS, R, @Risk, Arena, Apache Spark, Python, etc.
- Aiding learners in the application of concepts through projects in the areas of marketing, finance and operations, guided by IIMC instructor
- Probability Theory
- Statistical Inference
- Sampling Theory
- Hypothesis Testing
- Regression Analysis
- Linear Algebra
- Decision Theory
- Exploring Data
- Finding Relationships among Variables
- Graphing Data
- bar, pie and fever charts
- heat maps
- Time Series Analysis
- GARCH Models
- Fixed Effects Estimation
- Random Effects Estimation
- Types of categorical data
- Generalized linear models
- Contingency tables
- Simple and multinomial logistic regression models
- Linear Programming
- Integer Programming
- Multi-criteria Optimization
- Goal Programming
- AHP (Analytic Hierarchy Process)
- Random Variables and Distributions
- Monte Carlo Simulation
- Discrete Event Simulation
- Variance Reduction Techniques
- Relational database management: Schemas and relations
- Entity relationship diagrams
- Structured query language
- Datawarehouses, data marts and ETL
- Supervised and unsupervised learning
- Kernel based methods
- Text mining techniques
- Performance evaluation
- ERP systems
- SCM and CRM systems
- CRISP-DM model
- Insights to actions in an omnichannel environment
- Structured, semi-structured and unstructured data
- In-memory storage and NoSQL
- Distributed processing: Hadoop and MapReduce
- Complex events and stream analysis
As part of the course, learners will be required to form small teams and undertake projects of their choice, in the areas of marketing, finance and operations, to be guided by IIMC instructor.
The course directors for Advanced course in Data Sciences will be Professor Indranil Bose and Professor Preetam Basu
Prof Indranil Bose is a Professor of Management Information Systems at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. He was the founding Chairperson of the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Analytics offered by IIMC, IITKGP and ISL Previously he was a instructor member at the University of Hong Kong, University of Florida, and the University of Texas at Arlington. His degrees include B. Tech (Hons.) from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, MS from the University of Iowa and MS and PhD from Purdue University.
His complete profile can be found at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/indranil
Prof. Preetam Basu is a Assistant Professor of Operations at IIM Calcutta. He has a PhD in from the University of Connecticut and an MS in mathematics from the University of Minnesota. He consults in the areas of supply chain management, revenue management and services operations.
His complete profile can be found at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/preetamb
On completion of the course the learner will receive a certificate of successful completion from IIM Calcutta. The candidates will also be awarded an Alumni status by IIM Calcutta.
The applicant should be a Graduate (10+2+3 or equivalent) /Post Graduate in any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks (Aggregate). They should have a work experience of atleast 3 years.
Applicants will be selected on the basis of their performance in the Pre Admission Test, their Past Academic Performance and Work Experience.
What is the course fee and payment options?
The course fee is Rs 2,59,000 plus 15% service tax. We also offer Installments options which is as below:
|On Application||On registration||Installment I||Installment II||Installment III|
|Date||Dec-Mar 2017||Mar 2017||May 2017||Jul 2017||Sept 2017|
|Amount INR||9000 + Taxes||100000 +Taxes||50000 + Taxes||50000 + Taxes||50000 + Taxes|
Note: These amounts do not include taxes. A service tax of 15% will be charged on all transactions.
An Application Fee of Rs. 9,000 + 15% service tax has to be paid at the time of application. In case the candidate is selected for the course, then this amount will be adjusted in the course fee. If the candidate is not selected the entire application fee (along with the service tax) will be refunded.
The Application Fee will NOT be refunded in case of any of the following conditions:
- The application is found to be incomplete or inaccurate at any stage of scrutiny.
- The applicant is offered a seat for the course and does not join before the date mentioned in the offer letter.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in all respects. The selection offer letter is for a specific batch of a course. Neither the offer for admission nor the initial amount is transferable to any other course or batch.
Campus Visit Fee
A mandatory Campus Module fee is to be paid via DD drawn in favor of IIM Calcutta, before every campus visit. This amount includes boarding and lodging. Travel arrangements (including travel expenses) for the campus visit have to be made by the learners themselves.
The Campus Installment to be paid via DD drawn in favor of "Indian Institute of Management Calcutta" payable at Kolkata close to the visit date.
Total campus visit fee (for both campus modules) is Rs. 60,000 plus applicable tax payable directly to IIMC. This amount will be paid in three installments, before the beginning of each campus visit (Rs. 15,000 for the first visit, Rs. 24,000 for the second visit and Rs. 21,000 for the third visit)
What happens if I miss a session?
We provide you with recordings of each session that you can view anytime you want.So if you miss any live class, you may refer to the recordings of that session.
What is your refund policy?
After registering for the course if for some reason you are unable or unwilling to participate in the course then you can apply for a refund. You can initiate refund any time before start of the course by sending a mail to Support@training.com with your enrolment details and bank account details (where you want the amount to be transferred). Once you initiate a refund request you will receive the amount within 30 days after confirmation of refund request.This is provided you have not downloaded any courseware for the course.
What are the minimum system requirements to attend the course?
- A PC/Laptop
- Web Cam
- Headphone with Mic
- Min 1MBPS broadband connection
- This self-diagnostic test will verify if you meet the necessary requirements (webcam, mike and internet speed cannot be verified through this link)