Data science is the study of extracting knowledge or insights from data in various forms. It employs techniques and theories drawn from many fields within the broad areas of mathematics, statistics, operations research, information science, and computer science. Demand for trained data scientists has witnessed a massive growth in recent years. Data analysis is not only essential but crucial for meeting the challenges of making most efficient strategic decisions. Data science concepts apply across various domains such as the government sector, agricultural sector, atmospheric sciences, infrastructure management, financial markets, and ecommerce.
The aim of this course is to introduce learners to the different tools and techniques used for handling, managing, analyzing, and interpreting data. This course offers a hands-on learning experience with introduction to specialized software such as XLMiner, SAS Enterprise Miner, SPSS, R, @RISK, Apache Spark, Python, etc. This course is designed for working professionals who want to advance their career in data manipulation.
The advanced program in data sciences will enable the learners to acquire a strong foundation in manipulation of data to succeed in leading organizations.
- Acquire a strong foundation in Statistics for Data Science
- Learn the insights of Database Management and Data Warehousing
- Get familiar with the latest tools such as XLMiner, SAS Enterprise Miner, SPSS, R, @Risk, Apache Spark, Python, etc.
- Build Complex Events and Stream Analysis using Big Data Analytics
- Probability Theory
- Statistical Inference
- Sampling Theory
- Hypothesis Testing
- Regression Analysis
- Linear Algebra
- Decision Theory
- Exploring Data
- Finding Relationships among Variables
- Graphing Data
- Bar, Pie and Fever Charts
- Heat Maps
- Correlation and Covariance
- Pivot Tables
- Time Series Analysis
- Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity(GARCH) Models
- Fixed Effects Estimation
- Random Effects Estimation
- Types of Categorical Data
- Generalized Linear Models
- Contingency Tables
- Simple and Multinomial Logistic Regression Models
- Linear Programming
- Integer Programming
- Multi-criteria Optimization
- Goal Programming
- Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP)
- Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA)
- Random Variables and Distributions
- Monte Carlo Simulation
- Discrete Event Simulation
- Variance Reduction Techniques
- Relational Database Management: Schemas and Relations
- Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Structured Query Language
- Data Warehousing Concepts, Data Marts and ETL
- Supervised and Unsupervised Learning
- Kernel Based Methods
- Text Mining Techniques
- Performance Evaluation
- ERP Systems
- SCM and CRM Systems
- CRISP-DM Model
- Insights to actions in an Omni Channel Environment
- Structured, Semi-structured and Unstructured data
- In-memory Storage and NoSQL
- Distributed Processing: Hadoop and MapReduce
- Complex Events and Stream Analysis
As part of the course, learners will be required to form small teams, and undertake projects of their choice in the areas of marketing, finance, and operations to be guided by IIMC instructors.
The Program directors for this course will be will be Professor Indranil Bose and Professor Preetam Basu.
Prof. Indranil Bose, a specialist in Predictive Analysis and Big Data, is a Professor of Management Information Systems at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. He was the founding Chairperson of the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Analytics offered by IIM Calcutta, IIT Kharagpur and ISL Kolkata. Previously, he was an instructor member at the University of Hong Kong, University of Florida, and University of Texas at Arlington. He holds a B. Tech (Hons.) from IIT Kharagpur, MS from University of Iowa, and MS and PhD from Purdue University. Review his complete profile at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/indranil.
Prof. Preetam Basu, an experienced trainer in Business Analytics, is an Assistant Professor of Operations at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. He holds an MS degree from the University of Minnesota and a PhD from the University of Connecticut. He consults in the areas of Operations Research, Risk Management Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Revenue Management and Dynamic Pricing. He has conducted several sessions on Managerial Problem Solving for Executives. Review his complete profile at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/preetamb.
On successful completion of the course, the learner will receive a certificate of completion from IIMC. The candidates will also be awarded an alumni status by IIMC.
The pre-requisites for the program are:
- The applicant should be a Graduate (10+2+3 or equivalent) or a Post-graduate in any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks (aggregate).
- The applicant should have a work experience of at least 3 years.
Applicant selection will be based on:
- Performance in the Pre-admission Test
- Past Academic Performance
- Work Experience
What is the course fee and what are the payment options?
The course fee is 2,59,000 plus 15% service tax. We also offer installment options listed as below:
|Date||On Application||On Registration||May 2017||Jul 2017||Sept 2017|
Note: These amounts do not include taxes. A service tax of 15% will be charged on all transactions.
The application fee for the course is 9,000 + 15% service tax and has to be paid at the time of application. In case the candidate is selected for the course, then this amount will be adjusted in the course fee. If the candidate is not selected the entire application fee along with the service tax will be refunded. The application fee will NOT be refunded in the following conditions:
- The application is found to be incomplete or inaccurate at any stage of verification.
- The applicant is offered a seat for the course but does not join the course on or before the date mentioned in the offer letter.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in all respects. The selection offer letter is for a specific batch of a course. Neither the offer for admission nor the initial amount is transferable to any other course or batch.
Campus Visit Fee
A mandatory campus visit fee is to be paid before every campus visit to IIMC. This amount includes boarding and lodging. Travel arrangements including travel expenses for the campus visit have to be made by the learners themselves. The campus visit fee should be paid via DD drawn in favor of "Indian Institute of Management Calcutta" payable at Kolkata close to the visit date.
The total campus visit fee (for both campus modules) is 60,000 plus service tax payable directly to IIMC. This amount will be paid in three installments, before the beginning of each campus visit (15,000 for the first visit,
24,000 for the second visit, and 21,000 for the third visit).
What happens if I miss a session?
All the live sessions are recorded and available for later view. Learners can refer to recordings of a missed session at their convenience.
What is your refund policy?
Upon registering for the course, if for some reason you are unable or unwilling to participate in the course further, you can apply for a refund. You can initiate the refund any time before start of the course by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your enrolment details and bank account details (where you want the amount to be transferred). Once you initiate a refund request, you will receive the amount within 30 days after confirmation and verification by our team. This is provided if you have not downloaded any courseware after registration.
What are the minimum system requirements to attend the course?
- Personal computer or Laptop with web camera
- Headphone with Mic
- Broadband connection with minimum bandwidth of 1 Mbps.However, recommend is 2 Mbps.
Minimum system requirements for accessing the courses are:
A self-diagnostic test to meet necessary requirements to be done is available at
Please note that webcam, mike and internet speed cannot be verified through this link.
Is there an official support desk for technical guidance during the training program?
Yes. For immediate technical support, you can reach out on 91-9717992809 or 0124-4917203 between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM IST. You can write to email@example.com for all other queries and our team will be happy to help you.
Can I refer a friend for the program? What benefit will I receive for the referral?
You can refer any of your friends, family, or colleagues for the course.
- On registering for any course, you will receive a mail from us with your referral code. You can also access this code through the “Refer your friend” option in your learning dashboard.
- You can share this code with everyone that you wish to refer to the course
- If anyone registers using this referral code (referral code has to be used as a coupon code at the time of registration) then then will receive a Rs. 9000 scholarship on the course fee
- You will then become eligible for a referral credit of Rs. 9000. This referral credit can be reimbursed in the form of Amazon vouchers.
- Just send us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will verify the referral and initiate the referral benefit
- Two scholarships/coupon codes cannot be combined. Candidate can only avail one offer per program.